London, England

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Adventures of Alice in Oxford

I am a reader.  I love delving into a good book, letting my imagination go, and getting lost in the story.   Throughout my childhood, I read many of the classics, like the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Treasure Island, and A Christmas Carol.   But, as a young girl, one of my favorites was The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland.
I thought that *I* wouldn’t be silly enough to eat something just because it was labeled “eat me” and that it would be fantastic to have tea with the Mad Hatter.  I also wondered if the poor flamingos had headaches after being used as croquet mallets and why the caterpillar was so unfriendly.
As you can tell, even into adulthood, I adore the story, so much so, that I have shared it with my own children.  So when we went to Oxford, much to my delight, we visited Christ Church and saw the place where Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll, author of The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass) knew the real child Alice, given name Alice Liddell.
View my digital story to see Alice Liddell's Wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment